Senior Audition Requirements
Scales and Sight-Reading
Vocal Sight Reading
- Vocal sight-reading is in the key of the piece whenever possible.
- Will start and end on the tonic
- Will include all pitches of the diatonic scale as they fit the range of the voice part
- Will include steps and intervals of a third
- Could include whole, half, quarter and eighth notes, including rests and dotted rhythms
- Bass sight-reading is in bass clef.
- Please visit the All-State page for scale information
- Minor Scales are not required. Vocalists will not have to perform scales.
Multi-Percussion Requirement (required for all percussionists):
- Students will be judged on not only on how they play the different percussion instruments (timpani will need to be tuned) at each station but also on how they count the beats or measures between each written part. Students should take note of the setup of the different stations suggested by the author and should bring sufficient copies of music for each station and the mallets needed to play at those stations. Triangle and tambourine are provided.
Snare Drum Rudiments
Students should bring their own drum and sticks.
- Moderately closed roll with dynamics (ff > pp and pp < ff)
- 5 and 9 stroke rolls alternating
- 7 stroke roll, left hand
- Flam accents #1 and #2
- Single and double paradiddles
- Triple ratamacue
Students should bring their own mallets.
- Single stroke roll with dynamics (ff > pp and pp < ff)
- Tuning timpani to required pitches
Required Audition Pieces
Vocal Tracks- I Know a Young Maiden
All Files (*.ZIP) I Know a Young Maiden