Scales and Sight-Reading
Vocal Sight Reading:
- Vocal Sight-reading will be in the key of the piece.
- Will start and end on the tonic
- Will include the first 5 pitches of the diatonic scale (do, re, mi, fa, so) as they fit the range of the voice part
- Will be step wise motion
- Will include half, quarter and eighth note rhythms.
- Bass sight-reading is in bass clef
Winds/Strings/Percussion Scale Requirements:
- Click here for scale sheets
- Students are reminded that required scale ranges are only valued as 1 point on the adjudication forms.
- Trombone and baritone horn: The G scale will be accepted as 1 or 2 octave.
- All Junior percussionists will be asked to demonstrate their playing ability on the following percussion instruments (Bass Drum, Cymbals, Triangle and Tambourine).
- They must prepare the “Junior Multi-Percussion Audition” selection.
Students should bring their own sticks and drum
- Moderately closed roll with dynamics (ff > pp and pp < ff)
- 5 and 9 stroke rolls alternating
- 7 stroke roll, left hand
- Flam accents 1 and 2 (flam taps)
- Single and double paradiddles
- Flam parradiddle
Students should bring their own mallets
- Single stroke roll with dynamica (ff > pp and pp < ff)
- Tuning timpani to required pitches
Vocal Tracks – Cantate Domino